Painted Monasteries and Castles of Transylvania
Individual Self-guided Walking Tours in Romania
Romania is a country rich in heritage and history, and
Hidden Trails’ walking tours and hikes offer a unique opportunity to
explore this traditional country on foot.
Hidden Trails offer two self guided hiking vacations in Romania. On our Mountains & Castles hiking trip you explore the ancient and mysterious Carpathian Mountains.
Our Monasteries, Mountains & Bran Castle walking tour combines the two landscapes of Romania: Transylvania with the Carpathian mountains - you walk in three mountain areas: Posavarul, Bucegi and Piatra Craiului and visit the world famous Bran Castle, known through Bram Stokers ‘Dracula’. Hike an area unique with its combination of history, legends, scenery and wildlife..
Romania’s significant German (Saxon) heritage is obvious
in Southern Transylvania, home to hundreds of well-preserved Saxon towns
and villages. Saxons came to Transylvania during the mid 1100s from the
Rhine and Moselle Rivers regions.
Explore more Europe Hiking Vacations
Hiking holidays in Romania
- Villages straight out of a bucolic past, where traditional folk costumes are still worn;
- Working horses still outnumbering motor vehicles;
- Food grown on small farms, without chemicals;
- Rural tourism that benefits ordinary people, not corporations or cartels;
- Tranquility, without the sounds of motor vehicles or airplanes;
- Monasteries on quiet hillsides;
- Forests sheltering abundant wildlife;
- Shepherds who still spend all summer on alpine pastures;
- Starry night skies without the orange glow of a city;
- People whose brows are not furrowed by the stresses of modern life.