Kaernten Austria: (ZZ-CABK01)
Experience hidden waterfalls, pristine mountain lakes, exquisite alpine lodging, and warm Austrian hospitality. Our route captures the essence of Austria by bike, as we take in the Zell and Pinzgau regions and intimately explore the beautiful Saalach Valley.
“Spectacular Alpine Routes”
Our Austria program includes ground transportation from and to Munich. Our routes feature EASY CYCLING through two river valleys with no major climbs. You’ll actually lose 1,500 vertical feet by the time we reach Salzburg! Reasonable daily distances of 25 – 45 miles, allow you to truly appreciate this magical region. Much of the route follows along traffic-free bike paths!
Lodging in authentic Austrian chalets is surely a highlight! We’ll experience just three different hotels over eight nights. (You won’t have to pack & unpack each day.) Hotels include the four star Krimmlerfaelle, Alpin Sport, and the luxurious Gruenauerhof. We hope you’ll join us for what will be an unforgettable journey with breathtaking cycling and scenery.
Easy Cycling Level
Terrain - Mostly flat, with few rolling sections, moderate daily distances along traffic free & scenic bike paths.
* Use of bicycle (Trek hybrid or road bike)
* A non-regimented, “cycle at your own pace itinerary” with an average of 30-50 miles per day with the option of additional or fewer miles.
* Lodging in select country inns & hotels.
* Daily breakfast & dinners (fewer dinners for some tours; see individual tour descriptions and prices).
* Free transfers and long term parking.
* Full van support.
* Detailed maps, route descriptions, and cultural information on a daily basis.
* Most commercial transportation within the country of most tours. (See daily itineraries for specific transfer information).
* Friendly and experienced multi-lingual guides.
* Expert bicycle mechanics.
* Guided tours of selected historical Destinations visited.
* Pre-departure information packet includes: tour specific info., reading list, packing list, training suggestions, riding tips, etc.
* All bicycles come equipped with trunk bag; rear rack; water bottles; lock; pump; spare tube; odometer/computer.
Day 1. Lunch-time transfer from Munich to historic village of Krimml. Bike fitting, followed by orientation meeting and welcome dinner.
Day2. Today we shuttle to the top of the Krimmler Achental to visit the source of the world famous Krimmler Waterfalls. Gentle cycling through peaceful and idyllic Alpine pastures. Lunch in a 600 year old Chalet. (12 or 23 miles)
Day 3. Cycle to village of resort town of Zell Am See. Easy cycling to the scenic Obersulzbachtal and Untersulzbachtal valleys and through the market square of Neukirchen am Grossvenediger. View Austria’s highest mountain, the Grossvenediger. (23 or 42 miles)
Day 4. Loop ride to the storybook village of Maria Alm. Explore the 15th century Romanesque church or relax at a café with home-made Apple Strudel. Return to Zell am See. (10 or 20 miles, optional golfing, walking or hiking today)
Day 5. A short transfer from Zell Am See to Saalfelden for the start of the best riding of the tour!! Cycle in peaceful valleys surrounded by Lofer & Leogang Mountains. Lunch in the 12th century village of Waidring next to the hotel where Mozart spent the night in 1771. (23, 46, or 57 miles)
Day 6. A gorgeous ride to the village of Lofer which was used in the film Where Eagles Dare with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. Then continue along the Saalach River on a romantic trail via Unken and Schneizlreuth through forested region that enters Germany at Bad Reichenhall. (16 or 40 miles)
Day 7. Cycle along Saalach River into the heart of Salzburg to Mozartplatz. Meet your private cycling guide for a tour of the city. Afterwards plenty of time to shop, have lunch or stroll through the market streets. (15 or 25 miles)
Day 8. Morning transfer to Salzburg Central Station for trains to Munich
Rates and Dates for Saalach Valley
Accommodations, daily breakfasts and 6
dinners. Complimentary Trek hybrid bicycle, fully equipped for touring. Munich train transfer.
Transfer and Other Options:
Transfer from Munich airport - included
Transfer: Munich airport to Krimml included
What To Bring: *We
would seriously recommend that you bring padded cycling shorts and / or
a gel saddle cover that will definitely make your day’s cycling more
comfortable. Cycling gloves are also a good investment.
*We do not provide rain gear so be sure to bring your own light weight waterproofs.
*We strongly recommend
that you wear a helmet. If you own a bicycle helmet please bring it.
*Don’t forget sun cream, sunglasses , sun hat
- sports wear
- comfortable shoes
- rain clothes
- drink bottle for the bike
- sun cream
- extra camera batteries or memory